· 4 Freshly baked Francese rolls, cut in half and insides scooped out
· 4 large portabella mushrooms
· 2 small red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
· 4 oz. spinach
· One medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· Pesto (click here for the recipe)
· Mayo (click here for the recipe)
· Mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
· Olive oil
· 4 T Butter
1. Begin grilling the portabellas and bell peppers.
2. Meanwhile, saute the onions with olive oil in a small skillet until tender and lightly browned (you can also caramelize the onions).
3. Saute the spinach and garlic with olive oil in another pan.
4. In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Brush the butter on the bread, add the cheese to the top slice and toast on the grill until crispy and cheese has melted.
5. Mix about a teaspoon of mayo for each 2 tablespoons of pesto and blend together. Make enough to spread on the bread slices (the amount needed will vary based on your personal preference).
6. Once everything is cooked, you can start with preparing the subs: On bottom half of bread, spread on the pesto/mayo, next add the portabellas and bell peppers, then spinach and top off with the onions.
You can also add a leaf of romaine lettuce and a sliced tomato for some extra texture. And we highly suggest German Lowensenf mustard!