If you are an athlete or someone who stays active and works out daily, your body requires more than just three meals per day. Healthy snacks help you sustain your energy throughout the day and replace losses after a hard workout. Athletes especially need the extra calories and nutrition to support training. When choosing snacks, select those that meet your nutritional needs and that provide nutrients lacking in your diet.
*Always pay attention to the top allergy foods to see if wheat, corn, eggs, dairy, cheese and nuts upset your stomach or give you a lot of gas or bloating. This may mean that your stomach is not very tolerant of a food and it may be causing more harm (waste products and toxins) than good.
*Write down which items you like and go make/get them.
*Make sure you eat snacks at the right time for your activities so you can properly use nutrition for fuel and recovery.
- Chips and Guacamole/ Salsa
- Nuts (Trader Joe’s pre-portioned snacks: i.e. Just a Handful of Almonds)
- Trail Mix (Trader Joe’s pre-portioned mix: i.e. Just a Handful of Simply Almonds, Cashews and Cranberries)
- Nut Butters (Artisana brand)
- Protein shakes or smoothies
- Energy Bars (Cliff Bars, greens plus natural energy bars)
- Peanut/Almond Butter Sandwich (use homemade banana bread)
- Grilled cheese sandwich
- Sandwiches (Meat & Cheese or Veggie)
- Beans and tortilla chips or rice and or avocado or salsa
- Burritos or tacos or enchiladas (not taco bell)
- Twice baked potatoes or mashed potatoes
- Pasta with marinara or butter and cheese
- Omelet (cheese, veggies, salsa. etc.)
- Cheese and Salami
- Fried Rice
- Beef Jerky (Trader Joe’s Organic Beef Jerky in Original/ Pepper, Buffalo or Turkey)
- Ice Cream (Luna & Larry’s Organic Coconut Bliss in MINT GALACTICA)
- Waffles/ Pancakes
- Pretzels or peanut butter pretzels (Trader Joes)
- Milk shakes (homemade with ice cream and milk)
- Hard Boiled eggs
- Breakfast sandwich (eggs, cheese and or meat)
- Carrots and peanut butter
- Dried Fruits(unsulphured and unsweetened)
- Granola and Yogurt
- Crackers and Hummus
- Banana Bread