This one is a keeper. I used the recipe from Simply Recipes and altered it to fit into our cleanse and with the ingredients I had on hand. Here is my version (we used all organic ingredients):
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 3 quarts water
- ½ cup tomato sauce (I make my own tomato sauce using fresh tomatoes and an immersion blender)
- 3 large carrots
- 4 bok choy leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/3 cup cooked rice
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ tsp salt
- dash of black pepper
- Heat oil in large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute more. Add water and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Add carrots and bok choy.
- Prepare the meatballs. Mix rice into meat, adding parsley, salt and pepper. Form mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
- Add the meatballs to the simmering soup, one at a time. Cover and let simmer for ½ hour. Add the oregano.
Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro and joila! Albondigas Meatball Soup!